Mappa Moseley

Moseley Bog: A Journey Through Time

Although we now know the area of woodland, wetland and meadows that lie between Yardley Wood Road, Windermere Road and Swanshurst Lane as Moseley Bog, this is actually a relatively recent name for this site.  For the sake of both brevity and clarity throughout this article I will refer to the site as ‘Moseley Bog’… Continue reading Moseley Bog: A Journey Through Time

Moseley - Land Use 1838
Mappa Moseley

Moseley, 1838

Before becoming part of the city of Birmingham in 1911 Moseley used to be part of Kings Norton Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Kings Norton Parish was divided into ancient divisions for tax reasons known as ‘yields’ and Moseley was within the Moseley Yield along with Kings Heath, Balsall Heath and Brandwood End. The… Continue reading Moseley, 1838

Mappa Moseley

Kings Heath, 1838

Before becoming part of the city of Birmingham in 1911, Kings Heath used to be part of the Parish of Kings Norton  in Worcestershire. Kings Norton Parish was itself divided into four ancient ‘yields’ for tax purposes - Moseley Yield, Moundsley Yield (containing the actual village of Kings Norton), Headley Yield and Rednal Yield.  Kings… Continue reading Kings Heath, 1838

Mappa Moseley

Haunch Heath, 1838

Before becoming part of the city of Birmingham in 1911 the area around Haunch Lane used to be part of Kings Norton Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Kings Norton Parish was divided into different Yields for tax reasons and Haunch Heath was in the Moseley Yield along with Moseley, Balsall Heath and Kings Heath.… Continue reading Haunch Heath, 1838

Mappa Moseley

Stirchley, 1838

Before becoming part of the city of Birmingham in 1911 Stirchley used to be part of Kings Norton Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Kings Norton Parish was divided into different Yields for tax reasons and the modern day Stirchley was then divided between the Moundsley Yield on the western bank of the River Rea… Continue reading Stirchley, 1838

Mappa Moseley, wildlife

Brandwood End, 1838

Before becoming part of the city of Birmingham in 1911 Brandwood End used to be part of Kings Norton Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Kings Norton Parish was divided into different Yields for tax reasons and Brandwood End was mostly in the Moseley Yield along with Moseley, Balsall Heath and Kings Heath. Defining the… Continue reading Brandwood End, 1838